Yad Riva Legal Aid for the Elderly
Yad Riva provides free or low cost legal services for the elderly, including drafting wills, property concerns, issues with landlords and disputes within the family or with neighbors, financial matters such as insurance rights and pensions, and more.
With a small part-time staff and nearly 100 volunteer attorneys, social workers and legal and social work students across Israel, Yad Riva operates out of 15 Yad Sarah branches, providing education programs on elder abuse to some three dozen municipalities, and providing direct legal services to more than 8,000 at-risk elderly each year. Yad Riva’s signature programs include:
- Legal assistance in a wide range of issues including elder abuse, National Insurance, health and housing rights, labor and employment, and guardianship and inheritance laws
- Legal representation in cases of abuse, violence, and guardianship
- Legal assistance to the homebound in their own homes and to non-Hebrew speakers in their own spoken language
- Lectures in local communities for elderly and for professionals
- Telephone hotline for older people and their advocates for quick responses to questions on elder rights
- Advocacy: promoting policy changes and legislation to protect Israel’s elderly population.